TASC Test Advantage
TASC test offers many advantages to state high school equivalency programs
TASC Test is Accessible
TASC test can be taken at any state-approved testing site, and is available in both paper-and-pencil and online formats. This ensures that the test is available to as many people as possible without traveling long distances, or causing test centers to renovate in order to provide the online version of the test.
TASC Test is Affordable
The base price of the exam is $52 per student, which includes scoring and other essential documents. Price subsidies will vary by state, but the price has been kept as close as possible to previous pricing levels.
TASC Test is Flexible
TASC test does not require the use of particular testing centers to administer the computer-based exam, which helps states maintain control over their high school equivalency testing programs. As long as a testing center has its state’s approval, it can virtually follow all of the processes already in place for either computer- or paper-based tests.
Three TASC test forms are available each year, in English and Spanish, for paper-and- pencil and online tests. TASC test’s alternative forms include large print, Braille, and audio.
TASC test is available in both paper-and-pencil and online formats—the choice is left up to the test center locations and most importantly, the examinees themselves.
• Are easy to use—the same style in use for decades.
Support a gradual transition from paper-and-pencil to online assessment for:
• Sites lacking adequate computer labs.
• Students who are not yet comfortable taking an online test.
• Sites such as correctional facilities, where the ability to administer online exams is limited
• Provide accommodations for students with special needs when online accommodations are not optimal.
• Are comparable to online tests with respect to content coverage, rigor, and passing requirements.
• Easy-to-understand interface is simple for students to use, primarily requiring the student to understand how to type, and how to navigate the screen using a mouse.
• Provide instant reports except for tests requiring hand-scoring (e.g., the writing test in 2014).
• Offer improved efficiency—test items and student data are secure using the latest online security protocols.
TASC Test is Research Based
DRC’s research staff provides leadership to the measurement community through peer-reviewed publications and presentations and the development of state-of-the art psychometric methods. Our staff includes doctorate-level research scientists, as well as statistical analysts and research implementation specialists. They have been working collaboratively with the adult education community to provide test results and interpretations that are valid, technically defensible and easy to interpret for over 50 years.
All items have been field tested on nationally representative samples of graduating high school seniors and diverse samples of adult learners:
• They are valid and reliable measurement of Common Core content
• Item response theory scaling and equating to support accuracy and form equivalence
• Appropriate and meaningful passing and Career and College Readiness scores give a clear picture of achievement – show what you know!
• The online platform used by TASC test is a tested and proven high-stakes, secure platform. DRC plans to release a computer adaptive version of TASC test with even shorter administration times and no loss of accuracy.